School District of Wauzeka-Steuben
Inspiring passion and achievement in all learners
A. The District will create and implement a formal employee exit interview
B. Increase student comfort and ability in the area of communication
in the areas of writing and public speaking.
C. Help continue to improve the “Pride factor” for the school and District
Regular School Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, 19 December 2016
All Purpose Room (APR) 7:30 p.m.
I. Marfilius called the meeting to order at 7:31 p.m. in the All Purpose Room of the Wauzeka-Steuben School Building. Roll call was taken. Present were: Bill Marfilius, Nikki Asleson, Tom Jazdzewski, Terri Acker, and Tom Martin.
Open Meeting Law Compliance: Marfilius announced that the meeting was properly posted.
II. After discussion on the following consent agenda items, Marfilius moved, seconded by Jazdzewski to approve the consent agenda as presented. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote. Items approved were:
A. Board Meeting Minutes: Nov. 16th Special, Nov. 21st Regular, Nov. 21st Special, and Nov. 28th Special
B. Regular Monthly Finances: December 2016 for the following amounts: Vouchers $627,669.86; Receipts $377,494.05; Fund 60 $47,223.98
C. Gifts/Donations: Gundersen Boscobel Area Hospital and Clinics ($1,000) towards Wauzeka Angels Fitness Center; Walmart $100 Gift Card for “Our Room to Read” Project (thank you letters have been sent)
D. Over Night Student Events: Accounting students to Milwaukee April 28-29
1. Retirement of Part-Time IT Person
2. Volunteer Girls’ Basketball Coach
3. Resignation of Cheerleading Coach
III. There were no community comments.
A. M3 Presentation on District Insurance Options and the RFP (Request for Proposal) Process was done via teleconference.
B. Business Official Jeff Mara was present to answer any questions the Board had regarding the monthly finances.
C. The climate survey will be discussed at the next Board meeting.
D. Information presented to the Board on potential secondary costs associated with laying people off to solve budget issues
V. Old Business
A. The Board discussed 2017-2018 Budget Reductions:
1. Moved by Jazdzewski, seconded by Martin to re-implement a $25 fee for all students. In the event a family does not fill out a free-&-reduced application the fee would be $100. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
2. Motion by Jazdzewski, seconded by Marfilius that all Business Education classes will be moved to Distance Learning Lab. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
3. Motion by Jazdzewski, seconded by Asleson to not rehire the technology vacancy left by a retirement. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
4. Motion by Martin, seconded by Jazdzewski that starting 2nd semester of this school year the District will pilot a new bus route system with four (4) routes in the morning and three (3) routes in the afternoon. Motion carried 3-1-1 by roll call vote. Voting YES: Marfilius, Martin, Jazdzewski; Voting NO: Acker; ABSTAINING: Asleson
5. Motion by Martin, seconded by Jazdzewski that speech services will be reduced from three (3) to two (2) days. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
6. Motion by Jazdzewski, seconded by Martin to reduce the school nurse contract by 50%. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
7. Motion by Asleson, seconded by Jazdzewski to reduce the custodial department by 1.0 FTE. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
8. Motion by Jazdzewski, seconded by Marfilius to reduce paraprofessional staff by 1.5 FTE. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
VI. New Business
A. Motion by Martin, seconded by Marfilius that if five (5) other schools in the conference move to 8-man football for the 2019-2020 school year, Wauzeka-Steuben will also move to 8-man football. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
B. Motion by Marfilius, seconded by Jazdzewski to direct District Administrator Sailer to vote NO on Boscobel entering the Ridge & Valley Conference. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote.
C. Motion by Martin, seconded by Marfilius to accept the 2017-2018 School Calendar Option #4 as presented. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote
D. No action was taken on HS closed campus during lunch.
VII. District Administrator Sailer reported on the following items:
A. Beef in the Classroom Grant for the amount of $150.00 (Mrs. Bark’s classroom)
B. Preview of the next Curriculum meeting
C. A transportation RFP (Request for Proposal) was drafted, fine-tuned by Atty. Eileen Brownlee, and will be sent to several companies who have expressed interest in this.
D. Began conversations with Head Start to bring three-year-old programming to Wauzeka-Steuben.
VIII. Moved by Marfilius, seconded by Jazdzewski to adjourn. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote at 9:49 p.m.
Theresa G. Acker, District Clerk