Volunteer activities must meet the following requirements to earn the honor of wearing a silver cord at graduation:
- All activities must me completed outside of school hours
- You must perform a service for someone other than family members
- Activities should be in addition to your participation in clubs. Activities such as Boy Scouts, Girls Scouts, etc. (organizations that require service hours) may not also be used for Silver Cord.
- 80 hours must be completed before September 1 of Senior Year
- 160 total hours must be spread over 2-4 years of high school
Activities that will not be approved:
- If you receive compensation of money or other recognition
- Chores at home/farm and babysitting
- Activities connected with school or school organizations
- Court ordered community service
- May not be minor acts of kindness (holding a door open, etc.)
- May not include working for a profit organization for free
- May not include working for a political party or campaign
- You may not include any hours form a Course service (serving, singing, playing music), preparing/ cleaning related to a church service, church programs such as confirmation or church committees.
However, if you volunteer through your church and perform service that is NOT expected to complete a particular program, this would count. You may not be receiving any other credit for the activity.
In Summary: You may not receive any other credit, award or recognition for volunteer hours used to fulfill the Silver Cord criteria. If you are unsure, please see the Principal for approval.