School District of Wauzeka-Steuben
Special School Board Meeting Minutes
Monday, 21 November 2016
Library Media Center – 6:00 p.m.
I. Marfilius called the meeting to order at 6:02 p.m. in the Library Media Center of the Wauzeka-Steuben School Building. Roll call was taken. Present were: Marfilius, Asleson, Jazdzewski, and Martin. Acker arrived at 6:04 p.m.
Open Meeting Law Compliance: Marfilius announced that “On Thursday the 17th of November 2016 notice of this meeting was posted and/or provided for posting to the following: the District’s website, staff lounge, and north & south entrance; Village of Steuben; KCTN radio; Courier Press; Wauzeka’s Peoples State Bank; and L&M’s BP in Wauzeka.
II. The Board conducted a Self-Evaluation. They used a form titled: Continuous Improvement of School Boards – Accountability WASB 2016 Regional Meetings to help with the process.
III. Moved by Martin, seconded by Acker to adjourn. Motion carried 5-0 by voice vote at 6:55 p.m.
Nikki Asleson, Pro Tem
Continuous Improvement of School Boards
Accountability: WAB 2016 Regional Meetings
• What areas or processes do you monitor as a school board?
Committees: CSIC, HR, Policy, Curriculum & Instruction, Financial, Building & Grounds
• What does your monitoring process look like?
Committee Meetings – Quarterly, etc.
• What current board practice stands out as an effective measure of accountability?
Question vouchers, state testing, strength of the community, school report card, District assessment scores
Rate your current school board practice using the following levels of attainment:
F – Fully Achieved M – Mostly Achieved P - Partially Achieved B – Beginning to Achieve
1. Our district has established a reporting system for measuring progress towards improvement goals.
Partially CSIC mtgs. Working toward District goals.
2. We use student achievement data to make decisions and to establish district goals or priorities.
Mostly Academy & Path Driver.
3. We communicate the results progress towards the district goals to the public.
Beginning Add goals to agenda or meeting minutes.
4. We use student achievement data to plan staff development and to recognize teacher performance.
Partially Not actually done by the Board.
5. We formally monitor progress towards reaching improvement goals.
6. We continuously update policies to guide and direct teaching, learning, and community.
Discuss the following questions with other members of your board:
• What survey questions indicate an area of strength?
Continually updating and monitoring
Communication from Administration to Board making us more effective
• What survey questions indicate an area for improvement?
Finance and Public Relations from the Board instead of Administration
• What is one thing we can do in the near future to improve accountability?
Finance → approve vouchers monthly – start small; Big Picture, not just monthly vouchers
(Be) involved in long-term budgeting as well as Building & Grounds issues
with the goal to make it long-range expenses: 5 yrs., 10 yrs., 15 yrs.